Most drivers are familiar with the startling impact of a rock hitting your windshield and the sinking feeling that follows. How bad is the damage? Will I need to get it repaired? Can it even be repaired? Will I need a new windshield? How much will this cost me?
Repair or Replacement?
The cost to repair a damaged windshield is significantly cheaper than a replacement. However, because auto glass is so critical to the safety and integrity of your vehicle, some damage is irreparable. A small chip may seem insignificant but may still require a full replacement.
Our auto glass experts at Simbol Auto Glass in Shelby Township can help determine whether your windshield should be repaired or replaced. However, here are six signs it’s definitely time for a windshield replacement:
- The crack is longer than a dollar bill. Small chips and cracks can usually be repaired with windshield resin by a certified professional. However, if a chip is larger than a quarter, or a crack is longer than a dollar bill, it’s time for a replacement.
- The crack or chip is deeper than halfway through the windshield. Windshields are made of two layers of glass with a thin layer of plastic film sandwiched between them that prevents shattering. Cracks or chips that extend past the first layer of glass can’t be repaired.
- The crack or chip extends to the outside edge of the windshield or near a corner. Damage near the edges and corners of the windshield weakens the overall structural integrity of the windshield.
- The chip or crack is directly in the driver’s line of vision. Even if the chip or crack is small enough and shallow enough to be repaired, damage in the drive in the driver’s sightline can obscure vision and poses additional safety issues. It may even result in a citation.
- There are more than two chips or the windshield has already been repaired twice. Although small chips and cracks can be repaired, too many can still reduce the integrity of the windshield.
- The glass is tempered, not laminated. Tempered glass, such as side and rear windows, lacks internal laminate film and can easily shatter. If there is any damage at all to these windows, consult an auto glass expert as soon as possible.
Find out if you have coverage
Talk to your auto insurance provider to find out if windshield repair and/or replacement is covered by your auto policy. Some policies include it with your comprehensive coverage while policies in some states offer full glass coverage as an optional addition to comprehensive coverage. Be sure to ask about any deductibles or out-of-pocket costs.
Beware of scams
The Auto Glass Safety Council warns drivers with windshield damage to watch out for scams or possible insurance fraud schemes. They recommend that choose reputable companies, ask about their warranty, get multiple estimates, and only pay when work has been completed.
Consult an auto glass expert as soon as you can. Your windshield is a critical safety component. Cracks and chips weaken the structural integrity of the windshield. The longer you wait to address it, the higher the likelihood of needing a full replacement.
If you need a windshield replacement in Shelby Township, MI, our certified auto glass experts will assess the damage and examine the integrity of the glass.
Simbol Auto Glass is a preferred service provider for all major insurance companies. Our professional sales team will handle your auto insurance claim for you to make the process as easy as possible.
Call us today at 586.731.4527!